Thursday, February 19, 2009

Tuna Casserole

One of my first culinary memories as a newlywed was a chilly damp autumn afternoon in Connecticut knowing SP was returning home from a long day in the woods. I wanted to make a cozy warm comfort food and struck out to make my first ever tuna casserole. Unknown to me, Shane didn't like tuna casserole - why he had it too many times as a kid. I never got it, and tuna being one of the few sea foods I like, had a craving. So... I created something good. I think I make it different every time, as shown in my crock pot version of this dish, but this one is oven baked and yummy.

Ingredients
3 cups egg noodles, cooked according to direction
2 cans tuna, drained and flaked
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayo
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
1 tablespoon relish or else 2 T chopped dill pickles
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup + shredded cheese of choice

Process
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 2 quart + casserole dish.
  2. In a large bowl, combine noodles, tuna, celery, and onions.
  3. Blend in the sour cream, mayo, mustard, and seasonings.
  4. Add half of the cheese and stir until combined.
  5. Pour into casserole dish and top with remaining cheese.
  6. bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
  7. Serve with side salad.

No comments: