My mother in law is awesome, incredibly helpful, amazing with the kids, a retired nurse and a lactation consultant all wrapped up into one amazing Mom. She originally gave me this recipe during my bridal shower, but the best story I have of it came a couple of years later, after the birth of our daughter, the Pickle in the Middle. Barby made this dish one of the first nights I was home and it is probably the reason I quickly discovered that dear daughter had colic! Yummy in the tummy, but not necessarily tummy friendly for a nursing infant! :)
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
2 whole chicken breasts; split, skinned and boned
1 can cream of broccoli soup
1/4 cup milk
2 Teaspoons lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon pepper
4 thin lemon slices
1 package frozen broccoli, cooked according to directions.
- In a skillet, heat the oil.
- Cook the chicken in oil until browned on both sides.
- Spoon off fat.
- Combine soup and milk, stir in lemon juice and pepper.
- Pour over chicken.
- Top each chicken piece with lemon slice.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 5 minutes, or until chicken is fork tender, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with broccoli on top.