This recipe originates in Machias, Maine. It is absolutely yummy!
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sour milk (which means you add one teaspoon lemon juice)
3 Tablespoons molasses
1 cup Maine blueberries (I prefer low bush blueberries and you can get Wyman's in most supermarket freezer sections)
2 Tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl combine first 6 ingredients.
- While stirring, one by one add the next four.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed until combines, and then on high for two minutes.
- Fold in 1 cup Maine wild blueberries.
- Pour into greased and floured baking pan.
- Pop in oven and bake for about 35 minutes.
- Sprinkle the top with sugar.