Yield: 8 servings (in ramekins)
3/4 cup walnuts, toasted and finely chopped (almost to dust)
1/4 cup corn meal
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup milk
10 ounces fresh unripened goat cheese
4 large egg yolks
2 cloves garlic, very finely minced
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
5 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine walnuts and cornmeal
- Butter 8 six ounce ramekins and coat with the nut cornmeal mixture. If there is any left over nut mixture, scatter in the bottom of the ramekins.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- In the sauce pan, whisk in the flour and cook stirring for one minute.
- Add the milk and, stirring briskly, bring to a boil. It will be very thick.
- Scrape mixture out into a bowl and add the cheese. Mash it until it is melted.
- Beat in egg yolks, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites and tartar until stiff but not dry.
- Stir 1/4 of the egg whites into the batter to loosen it up. The fold the rest of the whites into the batter.
- Pour mixture into the ramekins. Smooth the tops.
- Place them in a water bath, 1/2 to 3/4 up sides of ramekins.
- Bake in oven until a skewer comes out clean (~30 minutes)
- Let stand for 15 minutes in water bath.
- Invert and serve.