Sunday, November 4, 2018
These wonderful fruits are not berries at all but a member of the Tomato Family. This recipe, brought to you from Bluebird Hill Farm, is an easy way to make use of the Solanum melanocerasum fruit which is an herbacious annual in the nightshade family.
* * * Caution! Do not eat the fruit raw! * * *
1 lb fruit (3 cups berries pulled from stems)
1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 lemon juiced
1. Add water and fruit to the pan and simmer to soften. ( ~ 15 minutes)
2. Mash the fruit. I use a potato masher.
3. Add lemon juice and sugar.
4. Cook until the jam sheets from the spoon ( ~10 minutes)
5. Refidgerate - do not can as acidity has not been tested.
Yield = 2 cups
Time = About an hour