Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Cheddar Tomato Soup

I am proud to open up my section of soups, a long standing tradition for my family, with a vegetarian soup. I was a vegetarian for 15 years so you may notice I do not post a lot of meat dominated dishes. Tomato soup is my comfort soup, one that HiHo would make with accompanying grilled cheese sandwiches. I think this recipe rolls it all into one! I hope you enjoy this yummy comfort soup on a cold winter's night (maybe even with a grilled cheese).

Ingredients
1 small onion diced
1 large stalk celery diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 large can (or 2 small) tomatoes
2 cups vegetable stock (in a pinch use chicken)
salt and pepper to taste
1.5 cups grated cheddar cheese (or more!!)
1/2 cup milk or cream (optional)

Process

  1. In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil.
  2. Add first three ingredients and saute until golden.
  3. Add tomatoes and stir.
  4. Slowly add the stock and stir.
  5. As it heats season with salt and pepper.
  6. Simmer for about 10 minutes allowing soup to heat and reduce just a bit.
  7. Lower heat and stir in cheese.
  8. When cheese has melted, if you would like a creamier soup, add the milk/cream.
  9. Taste soup. Add more S and P if you wish or other seasonings of your choice. I often add some curry powder at this point.
Enjoy!

No comments: