1 small onion diced
1 large stalk celery diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 large can (or 2 small) tomatoes
2 cups vegetable stock (in a pinch use chicken)
salt and pepper to taste
1.5 cups grated cheddar cheese (or more!!)
1/2 cup milk or cream (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil.
- Add first three ingredients and saute until golden.
- Add tomatoes and stir.
- Slowly add the stock and stir.
- As it heats season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes allowing soup to heat and reduce just a bit.
- Lower heat and stir in cheese.
- When cheese has melted, if you would like a creamier soup, add the milk/cream.
- Taste soup. Add more S and P if you wish or other seasonings of your choice. I often add some curry powder at this point.