As my first side dish in my recipe box, I begin with this yummy, comfy, side dish. I sometimes garnish this recipe with other things, spiced whipped cream or even candied apple slices, but it is also a dish that can stand alone it's so good!
3 to 4 pounds sweet potatoes
4 Tablespoons softened butter
3 Tablespoons cream
1 cup applesauce, preferably homemade
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
4 tablespoons sugar
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven 375.
- Pierce potatoes with a fork and place on baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes to an hour or until tender when pierced with fork. Remove from oven and cool.
- Cut open potatoes and scoop flesh into mixer bowl.
- Add cream and butter and beat until smooth.
- Add applesauce and ginger and beat again.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a casserole dish and put in oven until heated through.