2 pounds shrimp (jumbo or else your preference)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground hot red pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 teaspoons (or much less) salt
1/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon black mustard seed
2 Tablespoons finely chopped ginger root
1 Tablespoon finely chopped garlic
1 cup finely chopped onion
6 medium ripe tomatoes or else 2 cups canned chopped tomatoes drained.
2 Tablespoons Jaggery (pictured above which can be substituted with equal parts Dark brown sugar and dark molasses)
3 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander
3 Tablespoons chopped green chilies (optional)
- To make marinade, combine lemon juice, vinegar, cumin, turmeric, red pepper, black pepper, and dash of salt.
- Add shelled shrimp to marinade and let sit for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In skillet over medium heat, heat oil and stir in mustard seed, ginger, garlic, onion, some salt, and fry until soft and golden brown (about 8 minutes)
- Drain marinade from shrimp into skillet.
- Add tomatoes and stir 3 minutes.
- Add Jaggery and coriander
- Add shrimp and turn until all sides are coated.
- Sprinkle chilies on top if desired.
- Cook over medium heat one to two minutes or until shrimp is cooked. Remove from heat.
- Serve over fettuchini.