These Greek meatballs were another one of HiHo's traditions for Christmas. She quadrupled the recipe for the Christmas Eve Party. Crowds would form around the two pots that she served them in making them a real conversation piece. While the spinach dip sandwiches were my favorite dish, this was definitely my sisters. She would keep the pot hot on a hot plate and use it as a finger food, providing guests a cup of toothpicks to serve themselves with. These are yummy and quite memorable.
1.5 pounds ground round steak
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup fine, soft bread crumbs
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 Tablespoons chopped parsley
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh mint
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
shortening for pan frying.
- Combine all ingredients except shortening and mix thoroughly. (I remember HiHo working this with her bare hands).
- Refrigerate for several hours.
- Shape into small bite-size balls. (this took forever when quadrupled and HiHo would often beg for my help!)
- Fry in hot shortening until browned.
- Serve hot. Although HiHo never did it, Tzadziki makes a great accompaniment.