1 cup olive oil
3 lb chuck or rump roast of beef
1 carrot, chopped
I stalk celery, chopped
I onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper
1 oz. dried mushrooms
1 cup red wine
1 small can tomato paste
2 cups warm beef broth or consumme
- In a heavy saucepan, heat the oil and brown the beef quickly on all sides.
- Add the carrot, celery, and onion and cook until the onion is golden brown.
- Add garlic, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- Continue cooking over low heat.
- Soak the mushrooms in warm water for several minutes.
- Drain off the water, chop the mushrooms, and add the meat and vegetables.
- Cook, uncovered, over low heat for four minutes.
- Add wine and tomato paste, diluted with warm beef broth, cover and bring to a boil.
- Continue cooking, covered, until the meat is tender, about 2 and 1/2 hours.
- Stir occasionally, basting the meat from time to time.
- If the gravy becomes too thick, add more warm beef broth. When the meat is done, remove from pan and serve immediately.
- Serve the gravy, unstrained, over any kind of pasta, polenta or gnocci.