Friday, October 10, 2008

Sprigged Lamb

In honor of the fall round up that is occurring, from cattle weighing out west to Tom's slaughters on a small farm in CT, I chose this as my next recipe. I can recall many a family dinners that involved lamb, particularly the Easter dinners that didn't serve goose. I remember my sister's love of lamb and my dislike - I was always bothered by the animal being an adorable fuzzy little baby. If you know me well, you know I have gotten over this. Lamb is one of my favorite meats to cook and eat with Indian foods. Before I digress into the joys of Indian foods and my beloved Uncle Shani, may I present Mima's sprigged lamb.

Sprigged Lamb
Serves 8 and is very good warmed over in slices.

Ingredients:
Leg of lamb - 5 1/2 to 6 lbs, boned and rolled if preferred.
bunch of parsley, all stems removed
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Process:
  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  • Wipe the meat with a cloth wrung out in hot water that contains a little vinegar.
  • With point of a sharp knife, make 25 to 30 incisions in the tops and sides of meaty part and insert 2 or 3 leafy tops parsley in each.
  • Rub roast with seasoning. (that's all it says but I think she meant the S and P)
  • Place on a rack, meaty side up, in roasting pan and roast, uncovered, in a moderate slow oven (325) ( *what is a slow oven?*) for 2 and 1/4 hours or until tender - allowing 25 minutes per pound.
  • Baste every 15 minutes after the first hour. (near end boil water as you will need it when the meat is done)
  • If not a crusty brown when done, turn heat up to 500 degrees for 5 minutes (* let me insert that DH and I are fans of Barbara Kafka's high temp roasting methods*)
  • Remove meat to a platter and add boiling water to the pan to make as much sauce as you desire. Bring to a boil stirring around edges. The juice is so delicious it seems a pity to make regulation gravy.
I love that and it brought tears in my eyes to write out her words. Even my Grandmother was a nonconformist in the kitchen!

1 comment:

mushy said...

Mom would also add garlic cloves to the slits made in the lamb, and would baste with beer throughout the roasting process.