Saturday, October 11, 2008

Bankers Onion Soup - for 8

As I mentioned, soup is a huge family tradition. But any onion soup reminds me of these fall days when I want something warm and soothing on the chilly evenings. This one has a bit of a twist too it, because apparently my mothers sense of adding beverages was taught to her by her mother.

Bankers Onion Soup - for 8
(With Champagne - Blunt White)

Ingredients:
4 large Spanish or Bermuda onions
1/4 pound (one stick) butter melted
4 cans beef stock
salt
pepper
Maggi sauce
Worcestershire sauce
Champagne (blunt white)
croutons or toast.
Parmesan cheese

Process:
  • Slice thin 4 large Spanish or Bermuda onions.
  • Place onions in skillet with 1/4 lb melted butter and cook slowly for 30 minutes.
  • DO not really brown the onions but they should be relatively dark in shade at the end of the cooking period.
  • Add 4 cans Campbell's beef bouillon or other stock
  • Simmer for 20 minutes.
  • Flavor with salt, pepper, and Worcestershire to taste
  • This base can be used immediately, but improves with age if made 2 or 3 days in advance.
  • Add 1 cup champagne (domestic) when heating. Pour a little champagne in each cup when serving.
  • Top with croutons or a small piece of toast, covered with freshly grated Parmesan cheese when serving.
Delicious! A real conversation piece!

* I had to call Mushy about the Maggi sauce. She knew what it was right off the bat. I am surprised now that I have googled it that Mima used such a thing when I thought I knew of all her food as bland and American! Anyway, it sounds like it is a sauce thickener. Here's the Wiki link and a pic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggi

No comments: