Bankers Onion Soup - for 8
(With Champagne - Blunt White)
4 large Spanish or Bermuda onions
1/4 pound (one stick) butter melted
4 cans beef stock
Champagne (blunt white)
croutons or toast.
- Slice thin 4 large Spanish or Bermuda onions.
- Place onions in skillet with 1/4 lb melted butter and cook slowly for 30 minutes.
- DO not really brown the onions but they should be relatively dark in shade at the end of the cooking period.
- Add 4 cans Campbell's beef bouillon or other stock
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Flavor with salt, pepper, and Worcestershire to taste
- This base can be used immediately, but improves with age if made 2 or 3 days in advance.
- Add 1 cup champagne (domestic) when heating. Pour a little champagne in each cup when serving.
- Top with croutons or a small piece of toast, covered with freshly grated Parmesan cheese when serving.
* I had to call Mushy about the Maggi sauce. She knew what it was right off the bat. I am surprised now that I have googled it that Mima used such a thing when I thought I knew of all her food as bland and American! Anyway, it sounds like it is a sauce thickener. Here's the Wiki link and a pic