From The Ultimate Soup Book
by Julia Older
Sauerkraut and Red Bean Soup
Be sure to rinse the sauerkraut so that this substantial, easy to make soup isn't overly salty. The bacon will be salty too, so taste first before adding salt. As the soup cooks it will automatically thicken until it is almost stew like. Serve it with a dark pumpernickel or rye bread for a complete meal.
3 T Olive oil
1/2 C onion, peeled and diced
2 C turkey or chicken stock
2.5 C water
2 C prepared red kidney beans, washed and drained
1 C potatoes, peeled and cut bite size
1 C apple, peeled and cut bite size
1/4 C parsley, de-stemmed and minced
1 C sauerkraut, rinsed, drained, and squeezed by hand
1/4 t mustard seed
1 C Canadian Bacon, diced
- Heat the oil in a large pot.
- Add the onion, cover, reduce the heat, and sweat for 5 to 8 minutes
- Add the stock, water, beans, potatoes, apple, parsley, sauerkraut, peppercorns, mustard seed, and Canadian bacon.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Cook for one hour stirring occasionally.
- Taste for additional salt.