Thursday, October 9, 2008

Crockpot Meatballs

Through out my documenting the family recipes, I will of course be adding our nightly dinner recipes. I also haven't said it yet, but it goes without saying that any of the crock pot recipes are the modern recipes. I don't think Mom owned a crock pot and her idea of slow cooking would have been the ritual of chutney making every winter. Then again maybe it would have been HER meatballs that she made for every Christmas Eve Cheer. These meatballs are NOT those meatballs, so if that is what you are wanting you can stop now. In fact this recipe calls for frozen meatballs, but you COULD make your own. It just defeats the point of this recipe - quick and easy and perfect for kids. The meatballs come from a friend, one that encouraged me to get a crock pot just so I could make these. They are simple and perfect for a busy night with hockey! It is versatile and proportions are highly dependant on what you get in your grocery store. My 10 year old had a rough day at school, and these were his comfort food request. Beef meatballs - this is what's for dinner!

Ingredients and Materials
Crockpot
Frozen meatballs - tonight I used two 16 ounce bags Wolfe's Neck Farms Italian style All Natural beef meatballs.
1 10 ounce jar Polaner all fruit grape jelly - organic works too we just don't use High Fructose Corn Syrup in our food.
1 jar organic ketchup (again we don't use HFCS). Start with 1/2 use more along the way.
I 20 ounce can diced pineapple
tonight I added some diced green peppers, fresh from our garden (not a usual ingredient)


Combine all ingredients in crockpot. The sauce should be enough to cover the meatballs, but they are not soaking in sauce. As the meatballs thaw and cook, it will soften up. You can check and stir once an hour. Cook on low 4 to 6 hours, or on high 3. Can serve on own or with pasta but there is not a lot of sauce.

No comments: