Rice Spoon Bread (Baba)
1 cup water
3 tablespoons white corn meal
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup cooked and drained rice
1 tablespoon butter
2 eggs separated
1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350
- Pour one cup water over 3 Tablespoons white corn meal and mix until smooth.
- Add 1 tablespoon flour, I teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Cook in double boiler until thick, stirring constantly.
- Stir in one cup drained cooked rice and 1 tablespoon butter.
- Add beaten yolks of 1 eggs and one cup milk.
- Fold in two stiffly beaten egg whites
- Pour into greased baking dish
- Place in pan containing an inch of hot water and back in moderate oven at 35 minutes
* Note: this method of cooking in a hot water container is called a hot water bath and is used to prevent scorching.
*For more information on double boilers, please see first double boiler recipe.