Monday, October 13, 2008

Rice Spoon Bread

This recipe is accredited to my maternal great grandmother Baba. I guess writing maternal is redundant, since the bulk of these recipes were passed on to me by my mother. In fact, if rumor is correct, my father's mother wasn't much of a cook, so I am guessing the name KK will never be mentioned although I do have a memory of her, in our Bush Avenue house, making hard sauce, probably to accompany mince meat pie for one of our winter celebrations. I hope that recipe shows up sometime. Well, without further ado.

Rice Spoon Bread (Baba)
Ingredients:
1 cup water
3 tablespoons white corn meal
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup cooked and drained rice
1 tablespoon butter
2 eggs separated
1 cup milk

Process:
  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Pour one cup water over 3 Tablespoons white corn meal and mix until smooth.
  • Add 1 tablespoon flour, I teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon sugar.
  • Cook in double boiler until thick, stirring constantly.
  • Stir in one cup drained cooked rice and 1 tablespoon butter.
  • Add beaten yolks of 1 eggs and one cup milk.
  • Fold in two stiffly beaten egg whites
  • Pour into greased baking dish
  • Place in pan containing an inch of hot water and back in moderate oven at 35 minutes

* Note: this method of cooking in a hot water container is called a hot water bath and is used to prevent scorching.

*For more information on double boilers, please see first double boiler recipe.

No comments: