Friday, October 17, 2008

Molded Halibut - a mousse - with almond cream sauce

Nothing about this recipe appeals to me except the fact that it was written by my Great-grandmother. I am sure someone would love this, but for me fish mousse is my Kryptonite. The almond cream sauce however is a keeper! I could see this making a nice appetizer for a party.

Ingredients
1 lb Halibut
I loaf crusty bread or 1 pint breadcrumbs
1 cup cream
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
4 eggs separated

and ingredients for the sauce (to be made while mold cooks)
1/4 lb almonds
2 Tablespoons butter
1 pint cream, 2 Tablespoons flour
pepper
salt

Process
  • Preheat oven 350 degrees.
  • Chop the one pound of Halibut very fine.
  • Cook 1 pint bread crumbs, from middle of loaf, with 1 cup cream to a smooth paste.
  • Add fish, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon celery salt.
  • Beat egg whites and fold into mixture.
  • Bake in mold lined with well greased wax paper.
  • Bake until firm - about 1/2 to 3/4 hour.
  • While fish is cooking, blanch 1/4 pound almonds, chop fine and blanch in 2 Tablespoons butter.
  • Make a cream sauce from 1 pint cream, 2 Tablespoons flour, pepper and salt.
  • Add nuts and butter.
  • When finished cooking, turn out mousse and cover with sauce.

No comments: