Saturday, October 11, 2008

Sauce Bearnaise

Ingredients

5 egg yolks 

3 tablespoons 

butter 

salt 

Parsley 

vinegar  

Process:

  • Beat 5 egg yolks in saucepan.
  • Add 1 Tablespoon butter, salt.
  • Stir over a slow fire until it starts to thicken.
  • Remove from fire, stir in 2 tablespoons butter.
  • Stir at side of fire until butter is dissolved.
  • Season with chopped parsley and 1 teaspoon vinegar.
A famous sauce - good on steak. * Clearly the farm had a wood cook stove in the kitchen. I think the directions are easily enough translated into the modern stove language. I love Bearnaise on my steak, but only have steak once a month so I don't clog my arteries every time. I am curious about her using parsley and not tarragon. When I make it, it is made with tarragon.

No comments: