Saturday, October 11, 2008

Gateau de Framboises

Gateau de Framboises (translated as raspberry cake) is credited to a Mrs. Moore. I believe this was a Stonington crony, but maybe Dad can clarify that one. I particularly like this recipe because, in Maine, raspberry has it's own season. I am pretty sure my husband is inspired to make this recipe from scratch. He's been reading Julie and Julia. I wish him luck!

Gateau de Framboises
(Mrs. Moore)

Ingredients:
27 lady fingers (*why the odd number?*)
2 cups sugar
1.5 pound fresh raspberries
1 full wineglass kirsch (*I love that measurement*)

Process:
  • Use a plain cake mold, a little deeper than the length of a lady finger, and long enough to line with 15 lady fingers just overlapping each other.
  • Put raspberries in large bowl with sugar and pour in Kirsch. Soak 5 or 6 minutes. Stir gently with a wooden spoon.
  • Line mold with 15 lady fingers - put 3 in the bottom.
  • Place layer of juice less berries and cover with 4 lady fingers.
  • Repeat and top with 5 lady fingers.
  • Leave mold in icebox for 9 or 10 hours.
  • Strain the rest of the juice through a very fine sieve and serve separately with the gateau.
I find the assembly instructions a little confusing, but once you get your hands into it it should make sense. Here's to hands on learning!

No comments: