Gateau de Framboises
27 lady fingers (*why the odd number?*)
2 cups sugar
1.5 pound fresh raspberries
1 full wineglass kirsch (*I love that measurement*)
- Use a plain cake mold, a little deeper than the length of a lady finger, and long enough to line with 15 lady fingers just overlapping each other.
- Put raspberries in large bowl with sugar and pour in Kirsch. Soak 5 or 6 minutes. Stir gently with a wooden spoon.
- Line mold with 15 lady fingers - put 3 in the bottom.
- Place layer of juice less berries and cover with 4 lady fingers.
- Repeat and top with 5 lady fingers.
- Leave mold in icebox for 9 or 10 hours.
- Strain the rest of the juice through a very fine sieve and serve separately with the gateau.