1 pound black beans, soaked overnight.
1 pound lean veal
1 knuckle of veal
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
2 Tablespoons salt
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire
5 chopped onions
3 quarts water
1 lemon cut in eighths
4 whole cloves, stuck in lemon sections
1/2 Teaspoon Allspice
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup sherry
5 tablespoons butter
hard boiled egg
- Cover beans with water and soak overnight. Drain.
- Put 3 quarts water in soup kettle.
- Add meat, 2 onions, lemon, drained beans, salt, pepper, Worcestershire and spices.
- Simmer slowly until beans are mushy - about 4 hours.
- Remove lemon and meat. Strain broth.
- With potato masher, pound beans to a puree, pounding through a strainer. Add water if bean pulp gets too thick.
- Return puree to stove.
- Shred the meat and add to puree on the stove.
- In separate pan, fry remaining onions in butter until dark brown.
- Add onions to puree mixture and let it come to a boil again.
- Add sherry and stir until heated through.
- Serve in bowls with one slice of lemon and 2 slices of hard boiled egg on each plate.