1 1/2 quarts fresh or frozen blueberries
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup cold water
2 teaspoons gelatin soaked in 1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons lemon juice
14 1/2 slices bread
glass or tin loaf pan or mold
Rum (and I chuckle because again the Rum is written in in Mom's handwriting but not put into the process notes. So chefs, you are allowed to put it in where you see fit!)
- Place berries, sugar, and water in saucepan.
- Cover and cook until berries start to soften and there is plenty of juice (about 15 minutes)
- Add enough hot juice in gelatin to fill cup and stir until it is dissolved.
- Add lemon juice and mix with berries.
- Trim off crusts of bread and brush both sides generously with melted butter.
- Line bottom and sides of dish with slices.
- Trim off any ends and use to fill chinks. (what a funny term for a cook to use)
- Turn a third of berry mixture over bread and this lay more bread.
- Repeat until you have 3 layers of berries and bread, ending with bread.
- Place in the icebox for 5 to 6 hours. (yes she wrote ice box because that is what they had)
- Serve with slightly beaten cream, sweet and flavored.