Tuesday, August 18, 2009

HiHo’s Blueberry Pudding

This recipe card is one of my favorites. It came out of a recipe book that HiHo helped put together for the Hospital volunteer Guild. HiHo was a member of the guild and a veteran volunteer for the local hospital, where I was born and where I later birthed my first child. This particular page has HiHo’s handwriting scrawled all over it with additions and recommendations. Why? Because this was HER recipe and donation to the cookbook! She added to it and improved it over the years! Well used and much loved, this recipe is timely this August since I have been storing quarts of blueberries daily.

Ingredients
3 cups blueberries
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
6 slices bread (HiHo noted “no crust”)
Butter (HiHo noted “melted”)
Cinnamon
Dash of Rum (HiHo recommended Myer’s Dark rum)
And then added in HiHo’s writing:
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 tsp. Gelatin? (My best guess is that it is added in the first step with the berries)

Process
1. Over medium heat, cook berries with sugar and water for 10 minutes.
2. Add rum and stir.
3. Spread melted butter over bread and sprinkle with cinnamon.
4. Arrange bread and berries in alternate layers in a loaf pan.
5. Refrigerate for several hours.
6. Un-mold, slice, and serve with heavy whipped cream and some Rum! :)

I love you HiHo!

No comments: