This recipe for Honey Almond Biscotti comes from my dear friend La. It makes roughly 2 dozen biscotti.
2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 and 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
5 large eggs
1 Tablespoon honey
1 Tablespoon grated lemon peel
1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup slivered almonds toasted
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Butter and flour a large baking sheet.
3. In a large bowl, whisk flour, 1 and1/2 cups sugar, baking powder, and salt until blended.
4. Make well in center of dry ingredients.
5. Add 4 eggs, honey, lemon peel, and vanilla to center of well.
6. Stir egg mixture gradually, until blended and mixed with dry ingredients.
7. Mix in the almonds.
8. Drop dough onto prepared sheet by Tablespoonfuls, forming into two 12-inch-long by 2-inch-wide logs.
9. Space logs 3 inches apart on sheet.
10. Using moistened fingertips, flatten or shape logs neatly (as in smooth into biscotti like shapes).
11. Beat remaining egg in small bowl. Brush logs generously with egg.
12. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
13. Bake until logs are golden and firm to the touch, about 15 minutes.
14. Reduce oven to 325. Cool logs on baking sheet about 10 minutes.
15. Transfer warm logs to work/cutting surface.
16. Cut logs, on a slight diagonal, into 1/2 inch-thick slices.
17. Arrange slices, cut side down, on 2 clean baking sheets.
18. Return to oven and bake until lightly golden, about 8 minutes.
19. Cool completely.
20. Store in an airtight container up to week, but if you have a bunch of people around you with the munchies, they won’t last an hour!