Sunday, November 1, 2009

A Halloween Cake
















My husband laughed at me for making this cake for Halloween. Why on earth would I make a sugar filled cake and then cover it with frosting and more candy? Because I love Halloween and my kids are awesome and I like to spoil them every now and again. Did I really just say that?
Anyway, I made a simple chocolate sheet cake from one of Lovina Eicher's recipes. I then took some butter cream frosting that was left over from my carrot cake muffins, and smothered my sheet cake in it. I then used Reese's pieces to decorate the top, reserving just the brown ones for spelling out Happy Halloween. I am sure you could make the same cake with different words and have it work prefectly for a Thanksgiving dinner! The strange thing is though, that the words are FAR easier to read in the picture than they are in person. Anyone know why? This cake is so good that my kids chose it for dessert tonight as an alternative to candy. Go kids! Enjoy!

Ingredients
For the cake:
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup water
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 large eggs beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the icing:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
3 cups confectioners sugar
2 table spoons milk

Reese's Pieces for the lettering.
Process
To make the cake
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Grease a 10 by 15 inch pan, or more than one if you have smaller pans
  3. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
  4. Stir with a whisk to blend.
  5. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
  6. When butter is melted add the water and cocoa.
  7. Bring saucepan mixture to a boil.
  8. Add the hot mixture to the large bowl of flour and stir well to combine.
  9. Add the eggs and beat well.
  10. Add the sour cream and mix.
  11. Add the milk and vanilla and stir until completely mixed.
  12. Turn into greased pan and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a took pick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
To make the icing
  1. Cream the bitter and shortening with an electric mixer.
  2. Add the vanilla.
  3. Gradually add the sugar, 1/2 a cup at a time, beating well on medium speed.
  4. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. When all sugar is in, icing may appear dry.
  5. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
  6. Yields about 3 cups.
When cake is completely cool, ice and decorate as you wish.

No comments: