3 cups water
1 cup dried lentils
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 medium onion, finely chopped,
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 Tablespoons oil
- Heat water and lentils in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Stir in salt and turmeric.
- Cover and simmer about 30 minutes until tender.
- In the mean time in a separate frying pan, stir in remaining ingredients and cook until onion is tender.
- Add this mixture to the lentils, stir, and cook until thickened (about 20 to 30 minutes).