My second favorite thing about this recipe is that Rob’s Mom used to send us this cake as a care package in college. My absolute favorite part of this recipe is that my copy of the recipe is written on the back of a letter from Rob. We love you Rob!
4 Tablespoons butter
2 and 1/2 cups pineapple, save juice (20 ounce can?)
4 to 6 Tablespoons butter
1 and 1/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 and 1/2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spread butter in a 13 x 9 inch pan.
3. Place pineapple in pan and then dot with cherries (and walnut if you like such things).
4. Cover with brown sugar.
5. In a separate bowl, mix shortening with sugar, eggs, and vanilla. When combined, stir in flour, baking powder, and salt. Then add the reserved pineapple juice.
6. Juice from the cherries can be added as well.
7. Bake in preheated oven, for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
8. Let stand 5 minutes, and then dump upside down on a plate.
9. Slice and serve – yum yummy!