This was another one of HiHo's Christmas Eve dishes, for which she doubled the recipe. The only problem is I abhor mushrooms so if there was ever a place where these sandwiches touched one of the Spinach dip sandwiches I would not touch them. Regardless, I know many people LOVED these little buggers, therefore I shall share it will my sister and I run very quickly in the other direction! The Pepperidge Farm bread is becoming increasingly difficult to find. If you can not find the thin bread, gently press or use a rolling pin to roll the slices thin.
1 pound mushrooms
1 slice of onion
4 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons thick cream
parsley (written in in HiHo's handwriting)
- Chop mushrooms and onion finely and saute slowly in butter.
- When tender, sprinkle them with flour and salt and cook a little longer.
- Add the cream and stir until nicely thickened.
- Season to taste.
- Spread on thinly sliced bread. HiHo used Pepperidge Farm Thin breads and also cut the crusts off.
- Place under broiler and cover with another slice of bread.
- Cut into small rectangles or triangles.
- Toast gently on both sides.