Monday, July 27, 2009
Tender and light, this is a favorite for everyone! Don't forget to fry the "holes" as a special treat for the little ones!
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup of sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 Tablespoons shortening
3/4 cup milk
oil for frying (we use canola)
A doughnut cutter ( I have added a picture of one, but you could use 2 circular cutters for doughnut and the hole)
1. Heat 3 to 4 inches of oil to 375 degrees in a deep fryer or kettle.
2. Measure 1.5 cups of flour and mix with remaining ingredients in a large mixer bowl.
3. Blend on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
4. Beat 2 minutes on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally.
5. Stir in the remaining flour.
6. Turn out dough onto well-floured cloth-covered board.
7. Roll around lightly to coat with flour.
8. Roll dough gently until 3/8 inch thick.
9. Cut with floured doughnut cutter.
10. With wide spatula, slide doughnuts into hot oil.
11. Turn doughnuts as they rise to the surface of the oil.
12. Fry 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown on both sides.
13. Carefully removed from the oil - do NOT prick the surface.
14. Drain over drying rack or on paper towels.
15. Serve plain, sugared, or frosted!