Thursday, July 30, 2009
Bananas Foster for 4
4 firm peeled bananas
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 Tbsp dark rum
1 pint vanilla ice cream (or butter rum? coffee? Chocolate?)
1. Cut bananas in half across and then lengthwise.
2. Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Add brown sugar and cinnamon and stir while it cooks until sugar has dissolved and it just begins to bubble.
4. Add bananas and cook on both sides until they soften and brown.
5. Carefully add the rum and shake pan back and forth. The alcohol may ignite on it’s own, but if not use a long match to light it.
6. Shake pan back and forth, basting bananas with the sauce, until the flame goes out.
7. Gently lift bananas from pan and place pieces divided among needed shallow bowls.
8. Place a scoop of ice cream on top and then spoon sauce over the top.
9. Serve immediately