Sunday, May 2, 2021

Simplified Brown Stock

 


 

 

 

 

This recipe is an interesting enigma. As you can see in the picture, Hi-Ho wrote, "I sent for this" and when I called my Dad, in my writing, he said it was a business acquaintance. But the internet tells me that Stendahl was a New York City Food critic. The article (or rather his obituary) states, "Arthur W. Bernal, who under the name Stendahl was a food and restaurant critic for The Daily News and WNCN-FM radio, died Sunday morning at his home in Bayside, Queens. He was 78 years old. All the above is likely true, but this piece of paper has three recipes, two for stock and one for demi-glaze.

Where was this recipe when I tinkered with making it at home!?

Directions

"Escoffier and other cookbooks detail stock-making methods that take many hours. A very simple way to get a usable stock is merely to throw your left over meats, plus a few vegetables, into a big pot of water and to simmer for 3 or 4 hours. Strain and keep in the fridge. If you do not use the stock within five days, boil it up again adding a few more bits of meat and vegetables. "

No comments: