3 cups light brown sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons maple extract (to taste)
3/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Combine sugar, milk and salt in heavy saucepan over low heat. Cook until it forms a soft ball in cold water (234° F. on candy thermometer) stirring often.
- Remove from heat. Drop in butter. Cool to lukewarm.
- Add maple extract and beat with mixer for 1 minute.
- Add nuts and cool in buttered pan.
- Cut in squares when cool. To ensure freshness, wrap cut pieces in squares of plastic wrap. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.