Saturday, June 5, 2021

Grinders

I spent large parts of my childhood in Stonington, CT, as we owned a house on Water Street. I won't tell you the number but last time I checked, the historically salmon colored door was now blue. One of my favorite memories was to be sent down to Camacho's to pick up our order of grinders and spend $1.00 on penny candy. The grinders were amazing and we ate them everywhere - at home, at the beach, at the point, at the light house, or at the Wad Club. Sadly, Camacho's is no more (now a jewelry store), and I have never been able to find a replacement in all my searching. Then we moved to Maine and when I asked for a grinder, I was handed a pepper grinder. Back to the drawing board it was. I finally gave up looking and decided to make up my own close-as-I-could-get version. It's still not the original, but it satisfies the craving. 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ingredients

A baguette or two, or a loaf of French bread or even Italian (the bread is the hardest part to match)
Mayonnaise (always use Hellmann's)
Italian Dressing (Originally it was a red wine vinaigrette but I haven't found a close match yet)
Iceberg lettuce, shaved thin
Tomatoes, sliced thin
Provolone cheese slices
Genoa salami slices
Mortadella slices (if they don't have it use Capricola)
Ham slices

Process

1. Cut bread in half lengthwise. 
2. Coat top half with generous amounts of mayo. 
3. Coat the bottom half entirely with Italian dressing. 
4. Start layering your meats and the cheese. 
5. Top with tomatoes and the thinly shaved lettuce. 
6. Close the sandwich and press together. 
7. Carefully slice into needed sizes. 

Enjoy!

No comments: