Sunday, July 26, 2009

Vegetable Succotash

My father-in-law Junior LOVED Succotash while I on the other hand have issues with Lima beans. So, before we were married, I was invited to Junior's house for a Thanksgiving. I wanted to make something to share that would make a good impression on Junior. I made him a very special and unique succotash. Let me tell you, I was nervous - just ask SP. I thought for sure he would hear me say succotash and then look at my dish and tell me to go fly a kite! If you knew Junior, you would know that he could say all of that in one quick look. Well, my culinary mind did a great job because, after a pause and a grumble, he ate it, smiled, had seconds and then even asked for the recipe! We miss you Junior!

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter (or more if you dare)
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 red bell peppers, diced
1 green bell pepper diced
1 small zucchini diced
1 small summer squash, diced
1 cup Lima beans
1 cup+ fresh cooked corn kernels
2 Tbs fresh sage finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Process
  1. In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter.
  2. Add onions and cook until translucent.
  3. Add garlic, peppers, zucchini, squash, Lima beans and corn.
  4. Season with S&P and cook until all the vegetables are tender.
  5. Stir in the sage.
  6. Taste and adjust as desired.

No comments: