Makes 4 servings
1 7 ounce package of elbow macaroni
3 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard (but fresh Dijon would be good too!)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1.5 cups milk
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cook macaroni as directed and drain.
- Melt butter in 2 quart microwavable casserole dish.
- Stir in flour and seasoning.
- Microwave 30 to 45 seconds on high.
- Add milk and stir until blended.
- Microwave 4 to 6 minutes until thickened, stirring EVERY minute.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Microwave and additional 30 second if needed.
- Stir in macaroni and microwave5 to 6 minutes, stopping halfway to stir.