16 to 20 apples
2 cups water
3 to 4 cups sugar
1 cup pure maple syrup (or more along the way if you like the taste)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice (or more)
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cloves
- Core and chop apples (no need to peel).
- Put in 9 quart pan and bring to a boil.
- Stir several times and continue until it looks like all apples are mushy.
- Remove from heat.
- Run through food mill.
- Return to pot and add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to medium or medium low and cook stirring frequently.
- You want the mixture to reduce and congeal reaching a stiff sauce consistency. It will become quite molten so watch out for splattering.
- When finished, ladle hot butter into hot jars and arrange lids.
- Process in a hot water canner by bringing to a boil and keeping at a boil for 10 minutes.