This recipe compares to a Virginia Ham recipe, but is better, because my great grandmother says so! This is an all day recipe so start it in the morning and allow an hour for the final heating process. It sounds so good I think this will be on my Christmas Eve cooking list in place of the traditional smoked spiral ham. I have included a picture of a clove studded ham for your viewing pleasure!
Ordinary unsmoked ham
1.5 cup ground coffee
1 cup vinegar
4 cups brown sugar
1 Tablespoon allspice
2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
more brown sugar
- Place ham in stock pot over medium heat and cover with water, coffee, vinegar, brown sugar, allspice, and cinnamon.
- Simmer for 4 hours.
- Let stand in water until cold.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Put ham in roasting pan, cover with mixture of mustard and brown sugar. Stud with cloves.
- Place in oven and bake for an hour or until heated through.