Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Cranberry Sauce

This recipe is taken more or less straight out of the Ball book for canning. I made sauce this weekend as a table setting gift for my Thanksgiving guests. I had gone into a store to get a sandwich for lunch and saw a basket of local organic cranberries and knew I had to fill a bag to bring home and work with. It was also the perfect project for our daughter to help with. Here's the recipe.


Ingredients

9 cups fresh cranberries
3 cups water
4 cups sugar

Process
  • Wash cranberries and drain.
  • Combine cranberries and water in a large sauce pot. Bring to a boil and continue to boil until all the skins burst.
  • Press mixture through a food mill.
  • Return pulp and juice to a pot. Add the sugar. Boil to the gelling point (when it falls off the spoon in a sheet and not drops)
  • Boil hot sauce into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch head space, affix lids, and jar by bringing to a rolling boil and keeping there for 15 minutes.

1 comment:

Cat said...

I would love to see and learn the canning process, but I will try this recipe plus a little tangerine juice, today!!
Happy Thanksgiving
Cara/Cat