Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Dawn's French Onion Soup

Dawn, previously known as Egg Basket, gave me this recipe 6 YEARS ago. Apparently I stashed it away in a never to be seen again place. At least two computers later, I stumbled upon it today when trying to clean out a folder of PHOTOS! Geesh, I can be so disorganized sometimes. Without further ado, I present Dawn's French Onion Soup.

Dawn’s French Onion Soup

Ingredients
2 lbs sweet yellow onions
1/4 cup butter
8 cups beef stock
2 TBSP granulated bouillon
1 cup red wine (I use Sassy Bitch Merlot .. I'm a rebel like that)
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1 loaf of crusty bread (I love a good garlic ciabatta)
sliced provolone, swiss and mozzarella (I like a mix, you can use whichever cheese your family prefers)

Makes 8 servings

Directions
1. Peel onions and slice in six equal pieces (larger or smaller depending on your preference)
2. On low heat in a large. heavy bottom soup pot, saute onions in butter until translucent (about 15-20 min)
3. Add beef stock and wine and bring to a simmer. Simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
4. Add Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper to taste (my family likes the tangy flavor that the Worcestershire sauce adds and I will often add more to our tastes)
5. Continue to simmer on low while preparing the crouton
6. Slice bread in 3/4 inch slices and lightly brush or spray with olive oil and toast under the broiler until lightly toasted (keep broiler on)
7. Ladle soup into oven safe crocks
8. Place a crouton on top of each bowl and lay sliced cheese over crouton
9. Place soup under broiler until the cheese is brown and bubbly, then remove (carefully LOL) and enjoy

No comments: