Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts from Cafe Delites

This Cafe Delites recipe is hands down my favorite new chicken recipe. I've been trying to create a more Keto-esque diet for myself after packing on the winter weight this year. So far is has been working, I am down 6 pounds and can feel it today. The dress tank I am wearing is once again comfortable and not tight around the back of my armpit. I can feel the progress. This chicken I made for one of my first nights on the diet, when Puckstopper was first home from college and requested my pasta sauce over spaghetti with garlic bread. I knew I needed an easy out. This was perfect and the left over stretched into lunch for the rest of the week. I was happy to make it again last night. Oddly enough I didn't take any pictures of it either time. It's not odd I guess - who wants to touch their phone when in the midst of handling chicken breasts? Not me!

The recipe is from Cafe Delites and can be found Here. The change I make to the recipe is to pound the breasts out after butterflying them, as it makes them much more pliable when you are trying to close and seal them. I added a slice of provolone for extra cheese melt and then tripled the sauce as it just makes the chicken even yummier. Here's my slightly modified recipe:

Ingredients
For the chicken:
5 chicken breasts, gently butterflied and then pounded for tenderness.
Salt
Pepper
Dried Oregano
Dried Basil
2 Tomatoes
Jar of sun dried tomato strips (reserve the oil when draining)
Log of fresh mozzarella, sliced
Sliced Provolone
at least 10 Fresh Basil leaves
and for the sauce:
4 cloves garlic
1 cup balsamic vinegar
6 Tablespoons brown sugar

 Process
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. 
  2. Prepare the chicken breasts by slicing nearly all the way through but not all the way. 
  3. Pound the breasts flat for tenderness. 
  4. Season chicken with salt, pepper, and dried herbs. 
  5. Pour 1 teaspoon of sun dried tomato oil over each breast and massage in.
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 on the other side. 
  7. Fill each with 2 slices fresh tomato, 2 teaspoons sun dried tomato strips, sliced cheeses and basil leaves.
  8. Seal with 3-4 toothpicks diagonally to keep the filling inside while cooking.
  9. Heat remaining sun dried tomato oil (or olive oil) in a skillet or non stick pan over medium-high heat. 
  10. Add the chicken and fry for 2 minutes on each side until golden.
  11. While the chicken is cooking, mix together the garlic, balsamic vinegar and brown sugar in a small jug. 
  12. Pour the mixture into the pan around the chicken; bring to a simmer while stirring occasionally, until the glaze has slightly thickened (about 2-3 minutes).
  13. Transfer pan to the preheated oven and cook for a further 10 minutes. 
  14. Take pan out, flip breasts and bastes. 
  15. Return to oven and cook an additional 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese has melted.
  16. Remove toothpicks and drizzle with pan juices.

Please go to https://cafedelites.com/2017/03/20/caprese-stuffed-balsamic-chicken/ for the enticing video of the amazing recipe, making it look far better than my iPhone ever would. 

No comments: