Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Meat Pie

 In snow making season, I try to make something warm and nourishing for the 4 to 12 shift SP works on. I recently thought of a Mexican Meat pie recipe that's on this blog and decided to make it. My first thought when I printed it out was, why is it called Mexican? There's nothing really Mexican about it in the slightest. My first observation of the recipe was why the heck had I written the proportions the way I did. My solution was to tweak it and fix it and update it. So here is my updated and revamped meat pie. Feel free to add more seasoning.

Ingredients

For the pie:
I pie shell - bottom only
1 egg
1 pound ground meat (beef or turkey)
1 can corn kernels drained
1/2 cup crushed saltines
1/2 cup chili sauce
2 Tablespoons pepper flakes, preferably Allepo pepper (our new favorite)
2 Tablespoons chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon Oregano

For the topping:
1 egg beaten
2 Tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
dash of cayenne

Process

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. 
2. Mix all of the pie ingredients together in a bowl and use your hands to mix. 
3. Transfer ingredients into the pie shell and put in the oven on a cookie tray. 
4. While pie is cooking whisk together the topping ingredients. 
5. Bake the pie for25 minutes (if turkey) or 40 minutes in beef until its cooked thru. 
6. Remove from oven and top with the cheese mixture. 
7. Return to oven and cook an additional 10 minutes. Feel free to garnish with olives if you would like. 

Enjoy!

No comments: