Sunday, March 12, 2017

The making of a Shrub. Drink Mixology on a whole new level. Blood Orange Shrub.

Let me take a sec and fall back on some classic Monty Python: “First you must find... another shrubbery! Then, when you have found the shrubbery, you must place it here, beside this shrubbery, only slightly higher so you get a two layer effect with a little path running down the middle. ("A path! A path!") Then, you must cut down the mightiest tree in the forrest... with... a herring!” 

Now seriously, who knew that a Shrub is a food item!? A shrub is " a combination of fruit, sugar and vinegar. When left to sit for a few days (or even longer), they develop a deep, sweet-tart flavor that is a wonderful addition to a glass of sparkling water, a batch of salad dressing, a fancy homemade cocktail, a marinade for meat or vegetables, or to a pan sauce. If you remember the essential ratio of one part sugar, one part vinegar, and a generous handful of fruit of some kind, you’ll be good." 

Today I made two shrubs. I first made a blood orange shrub because of its beauty and Vitamin C boost, much sought after when I have been plagued by illness after illness this winter. 

The beauty of the blood orange is the  other reason I chose this shrub! I used THIS recipe at Food in Jars.























I juiced four blood oranges and yielded about 1 cup of gorgeous red juice. I used a wire sieve to filter out the pulp.  I then added one cup sugar  and let it sit for about an hour, stirring when ever I had the chance.

At the end of the hour, when all the granulated sugar had dissolved, I added 3/4 cup of Bragg's Apple Cider vinegar. It is resting in the fridge until next weekend when I will break it out for some sparkling cocktails during our pasta party to try out the salt preserved eggs!



No comments: