1 large onion
3 sprigs parsley
- Preheat oven 325 degrees.
- Remove backbones from smelts, leaving on heads and tails.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Chop, to a pulp, a large onion with 3 sprigs parsley.
- In a saucepan melt 2 or 3 tablespoons butter and cook the onion parsley pulp in it.
- Season with S & P and add some breadcrumbs.
- Remove from stove and stuff smelts with this mixture.
- Place smelts in backing dish, on their backs, side by side.
- Pour olive oil over all until dish is half full.
- Bake for 20 minute.