This recipe is from Aunt Julie, a boarding school roommate of Mom's at Ms. Porters School. Her husband Charlie was my brother's Godfather. Their family story is a tragic one, but I am thankful for their contribution to my childhood. Julie's famous chocolate chip cookie recipe can be found here.
1 to 1 and 1/2 pounds scallops
shallots or onion
- Make a beurre manie (a dough consisting of equal parts butter and flour, used to thicken soups and sauces) by melting 3 Tablespoons butter and adding 4 Tablespoons flour. Cook and set aside.
- Saute together 1 Tablespoon butter and 3 tablespoons chopped shallots.
- Add 1/2 cup dry white wine and cook, reducing by 1/2.
- Add scallops and 1 cup chopped mushrooms.
- Cook over high heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat and add 1 cup heavy cream, salt and pepper, and cayenne.
- Add beurre manie and cook until thickened.
- Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Put into dish under broiler and cook until brown.