This is my favorite dough for sugar cookies any time of the year. The Pickle and I made Halloween cookies yesterday. It makes at least 4 batches of cookies, so break out your cookie cutters and get baking!
4 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 Tablespoons pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons salt
5 cups all purpose flour
- In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle blade, combine the sugar and butter on high speed until fluffy.
- Add eggs, vanilla, and salt and mix on medium until combined.
- Turn mixer to low, and slowly add flour in batches mixing until combined (it will be a bit stiff).
- Remove dough from bowl, and divide into four balls.
- Place each ball on plastic wrap, flatten into discs, completely wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use (at least 30 minutes - but it lasts up to 2 weeks).
- When ready to use let the dough warm a bit on the counter. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- On a well floured surface, roll out dough until about 1/8 of an inch thick.
- Cut out cookies with cutter of choice, place on an un-greased baking sheet, and decorate as desired.
- Bake until golden brown - about 10 to 15 minutes.