We made this last night for our evening of pumpkin carving. I really like the incorporation of Sweet potatoes in this and need to be honest that I really doubted they would be done in time. I procrastinated as long as possible to open the crock but to my pleasurable surprise everything was done completely. Even the kids ate it adding a dollop of sour cream/ yogurt to it. We will definitely do this again, maybe adding a bit more kick next time.
Slow Cooker Chicken Curry from The Lemon Bowl
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion - thinly sliced
- 15 oz can chickpeas - drained and rinsed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes - peeled and diced
- ½ cup coconut milk - light
- ½ cup chicken stock - low sodium
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons curry powder - salt-free
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne powder - optional
- 1 cup green peas - frozen
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- cilantro - optional garnish
- In the bottom of the slow cooker, whisk together coconut milk, chicken stock, tomato sauce, curry powder, salt and cayenne.
- Add chicken breasts, onion, chickpeas and sweet potatoes. Using tongs, gently toss ingredients together to ensure evenly coated.
- Cook on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
- Stir in peas and lemon juice 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve over rice and with plenty of fresh cilantro.