Monday, January 9, 2012

The wonders of Crescent Roll Dough

Why is it that years ago when I began making Taco Ring, I did not make more quick kid dinners a thousand different ways?
Maybe it is because I would rather have my own home made pre-fab crescent dough ready at hand.
Wow. Wouldn't that be nice? Now that's dreaming.

Then late last week on a busy guitar practice Friday, I saw this idea on Pinterest. It was destiny.

I saw two different recipes on Pinterest and combined them.

The two recipes were:
Jenna's Journey's Chicken Roll Ups
and - AGAIN
Tracey's Culinary Adventures Buffalo Chicken Rolls. * please note that these were made using egg roll wrappers - I will return to this recipe and make it again.

This past Friday night I made a mash-up smash of an easy dinner out of the two.
I made Buffalo Chicken wraps for Puckstopper and a friend who spent the night. He's sitting here right now and says about the meal, "I think it was great. Buffalo Chicken I really like and that was even better than normal!"

This is an easy dinner that can be prepped ahead of time (and saved in fridge for a day or two) and cooks in 20 minutes! I will use this again for busy work/hockey nights. Any sort of meat or vegetable salad/gruel could be made and baked into a rolled up bread roll concoction. I see some tuna casserole rolls in our future this week.

Ingredients - for the Buffalo Chicken version
2 chicken breasts - boiled and shredded
1 block cream cheese - room temp or warmed
A cup or two of shredded Monterrey jack
Buffalo Wing Sauce - I didn't use a whole bottle
chopped celery
2 rolls (Pillsbury type) big and buttery dinner roll or crescent roll dough
blue cheese dressing for dipping

Directions
Preheat oven according to dough directions.

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. It should be a sticky consistency that can be spooned and formed on top of crescent roll dough.



















Unroll dough one piece at a time onto baking sheet.
(One roll of dough makes one tray or batch of bundles to be cooked)
Place a good dollop of mixture onto largest piece of dough.

















Roll up and pull bottom corners up and around mixture.
Make them into enclosed little bundles and space over baking sheet.


















Pop them in the oven and cook for at least 20 minutes.
I checked on mine and they looked like this


















but I put them back in until they looked a little browner, like this


















But please, let cool before serving.
They really are full of molten yummyness and will hurt if you try to scarf them down too fast!

No comments: