6 T oil - or enough to cover the surface of the skillet
2 onions, chopped
3 large cloves garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons (or more!) curry powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
3 cans chick peas, rinsed and drained
2 Tablespoons or more tomato paste
A squirt or two of all natural/organic ketchup (helps thin and add flavor)
a couple pinches of salt and pepper
1/2 cup water (plus more for the end if needed)
1 cup (or more) plain yogurt
Whole Wheat pita pockets if desired
- In a large skillet over medium-high flame, heat oil.
- When oil is hot, add onion, and cook stirring occasionally, until it starts to soften and become translucent.
- Add the garlic, stir, and continue to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add curry, cinnamon, and cloves, and stir allowing to cook until mixed and fragrant.
- Add the chickpeas and stir.
- Add tomato paste and ketchup, stir and allow to heat a bit.
- Add the water and stir to even out sauce on beans.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the yogurt and stir and allow to come to temp. Add more yogurt or water, or even ketchup or spices, to adjust sauce to your liking.
- Add chopped cilantro and stir, continuing to heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve with lemon slices and pita pockets, or as a side with my Indian Chicken Strip recipe.