Ham and Rice Croquettes
- 2 cups cooked white rice, cooled
- 3/4 cup finely chopped cooked ham (about 1/4 pound)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 large eggs, divided - and lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup plain dry bread crumbs
- About 3 cups vegetable oil
- Equipment: a deep-fat thermometer
- In a large bowl, stir together rice, ham, cheese, 1 egg, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Put remaining egg (lightly beaten) and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls.
- Heat 1 to 1 1/2 inches oil to 350°F in a 10-inch skillet over high heat.
- Meanwhile, dampen your hands and form 1/4-cup amounts of rice mixture into 2 1/2-inch cakes.
- Lightly coat cake with egg, then with bread crumbs.
- Fry croquettes in 2 batches, turning once or twice, until golden-brown, 2 to 3 minutes per batch.