WHOLE MILK RICOTTA
This recipe was just published in the Portland Press Herald.
1 gallon whole milk, pasteurized or raw
1 teaspoon citric acid
1 teaspoon salt
- In a large stockpot, combine milk, acid and salt.
- Heat to 185 to 195 degrees, stirring often. Do not boil.
- As soon as the curds and whey separate, turn off the heat. The whey should look somewhat clear rather than milky.
- Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Line a colander with cheese cloth and place in a large bowl.
- Ladle the curds into the cloth. Tie the corners of the cloth together and hang for 20 to 30 minutes. You can hang the cloth from a knob on a kitchen cabinet or use a wooden spoon through the knot to hang over a deep container.
- Eat immediately or refrigerate for up to two weeks.
Makes 3 to 4 cups (11/2 to 2 pounds).