Serves 4 (easy to double, triple, quadruple etc.)
I jar onions (the Holland type, in water)
1.5 Tablespoons butter
1.5 T flour
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Rinse onions in cold water and set aside.
- For sauce melt 1.5 T butter over low heat.
- Slowly stir in 1.5 T flour and simmer 2 to 3 minutes as it thickens.
- Gradually add 1 cup milk and continue to heat and stir until thickened.
- Stir constantly
- Add onions, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard and 1/8 tsp white pepper.
- Heat an additional 5 minutes to meld tastes and thicken more.
- Pour into serving dish and garnish with a sprinkle of nutmeg over the top.