Sunday, March 26, 2017
Kartoffel-Bacon-Tarte AKA Bacon Pie
I can't translate German but this video is fairly strait forward.
It says I can embed which I will try above, if not below is the Youtube link.
The recipe is posted here:
You can't make this s**t up and it was well deserved after a long day boiling syrup outside, even if that meant that we didn't eat until 10:30. I rallied against it because it looked like a risk and it would take about 3 hours between the trip to town and the 2.5 hour cooking time. Nonetheless, they persisted and we had it for dinner.
It's fairly straight forward.
Large cast iron pot
Two or more packages of bacon
2 lb white potatoes
1 lb shredded cheese
salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Lay out the bacon as showed in the video. You want half the strip in and half the strip out.
3. Place a layer of sliced potatoes.
4. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Cover with a layer of cheese.
6. Repeat steps 3 and 4, with a little pepper (no more salt) one more time.
7. Fold the bacon strips over the top of the pie.
8. Bake in oven uncovered for 2.5 hours.
9. Let cool a bit and then serve. You may want to pat with a paper towel to absorb some of the excess fat and grease.
10. Eat with some fresh vegetables. Cover your head in a napkin and hide from God as you eat such a sinful meal. Thank you Anthony Bourdain for allowing us a way to escape the embarrassment of our gluttony.